Monday, September 25, 2006

Free Wifi Internet for around $20

The city I live near has free WiFi Internet, with very good coverage inside the city limits. Unfortunately, I'm some 15 miles outside those limits, and thus forced to pay for either DSL or cablemodem service. This just doesn't seem right to me. Free Wifi access a scant 15 miles away? There has to be some way to connect.

So, it's off to Google, and lo and behold, I discover this: How to build a biquad wifi antenna, over at Engadget. Given some copper, about $20 worth of gear, and a used satellite dish, you can vastly extend the range of a wifi network.

A bit more reading over here, at Martybugs, suggests that the actual antenna portion can get a higher gain with a few modifications to the design given at Engadget. Checking out Martybugs' sources leads me here, to Trevor Marshall's information. This gives even more detailed information. Hey -- I have a soldering iron and a highly developed sense of adventure, so why not?

I think I'll give it a go. I'll keep you posted.