Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Trixbox 2.0

While browsing around today I noticed a post on distrowatch.org, indicating that Trixbox 2.0 was released a few days ago. The press release is available here. According to the press release, Trixbox is a CentOS based distribution that includes a completely functional, ready to customize install of Asterisk. It can be installed in less than 15 minutes, supports multiple languages and provides increased reliability and stability, flexible user customization, and support for a wide-range of hardware vendors.

Given that I am planning to do an @home install of Asterisk, this seems like a logical approach. I am still waiting to order the necessary hardware to complete my installation of Asterisk at home, but could use one of the many "softphones" to play with this.

I have managed to cobble together some hardware from spare parts, and will attempt an install of this over the next few days. It is entirely possible that my wife may throw me out for cutting of her phone for hours at a time... but hey, she has a cell phone ;)