Saturday, February 17, 2007

Evaluating Open Source Routers

Recently a friend of mine realized that his entire internal network depended on an ancient Cisco 2500 series router (a 2511, I believe). This particular router is older than all of my children -- and I have four!

He is currently evaluating a number of alternative Cisco products, any one of which would do the trick for him. He needs to manage a full class C subnet, and a few additional static IPs. I think he is looking at the 1800 series from Cisco right now, and I'm sure they will be more than fine.

Of course, the cheapest one being offered to him by his ISP is more than $2,400 CDN, and that strikes me as outrageous.

Accordingly, I began looking around to see what alternatives to Cisco their might be in the FOSS world, and I have found a few. I've yet to investigate any of these thoroughly, so if someone has had some experience in this area and would like to share their wisdom, please feel free to comment.

Here's what I've found so far:

I'm sure there are many others, and I will continue to look around for these. I'll keep you posted.