Sunday, October 21, 2007

Trixbox and the Linksys SPA922

I got tired of trying to figure out how to wire my office such that we could continue to use the analog phones we have with the Trixbox setup I recently installed. Accordingly, I bit the bullet and ordered some Linksys SPA922 phones as a trial run. These are true IP phones, meaning that all they need hooked up to them is an ethernet cable (and a power adapter, if you are too cheap to purchase the Power over Ethernet adapter).

These are wonderful phones.

Setting it up on the internal network was absolutely trivial. Unpack it, hook up the handset, run an ethernet cable to it, and tell it what extension id and password you want, and you are finished. In fact, it's so easy to set up that I really can't see the point of posting the details here.... the quick start guide that comes with the phone is self explanatory, and so simple my 10 year old daughter could probably figure it out.

As a bonus, the various "star key" combinations are pre-configured to work with Asterisk, so I didn't even have to set those up. Right off the bat the call forward, do-not-disturb, and voice mail keys worked.

Great phone.

Next, I'm going to try to hook one of these up as a remote extension, and have an office phone at home as well. My understanding is that this would be easier with an IAX2 phone, but I don't have one of those, so I'll figure out how to do this with what I have at my disposal.