Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Asterisk update

I've been doing some more reading about the hardware requirements and options for setting up an Asterisk PBX, and came across this information:

"If you build an Asterisk system without the need for PCI cards, you have a much greater set of choices for what kind of computer to run Asterisk on. If things are configured correctly, the ATAs are handling all of the load for coding/decoding digitized streams of voice to/from analog. You have a better chance of being able to successfully share a computer for asterisk and some other tasks. There are some great choices in small form factor computers. It's even possible to run Asterisk on a Linksys WRT54GS, but that box is a bit too underpowered for a full featured Asterisk configuration. Linksys also sells ATAs with firmware from Sipura. Now it's been announced that Linksys is buying Sipura. I haven't seen any reports on hacking the version of the WRT54G with the embedded ATA yet, but I'm hoping we might see some pretty cool things soon."

Please note that I fixed some spelling errors in this prior to putting it here. I can't help it; the English prof in me takes precedence over the nerd from time to time. Anyway, it sounds a lot like the external box (i.e. the Linksys - Sipura SPA-3000) might be a better solution given that I'm using older hardware for my home installation of Asterisk. After a bit of browsing, I found an excellent price on one here, in Canada. I'm tempted to try this using my Linksys WRT54GS router, but since that's currently connecting my antenna to the Internet, I might be asking it to do more than it can.