Saturday, December 23, 2006

Asterisk via Live CD

While waiting for my various components to arrive for the Asterisk install, I decided to see if I could simply play around with soft phone technology, experiment, and so forth. I didn't actually accomplish anything so far, but I did stumble across this Live CD Asterisk product. In case you are unfamiliar with the concept, a Live CD is a rather nifty little thing -- it's a complete, task specific operating system on some bootable media (typically a CD ROM or DVD ROM, but you can use it on a compact flash card, USB key, etc. -- anything that has sufficient storage space and can boot your PC). This is a complete, fully functional Asterisk install on a CD ROM. I actually downloaded it, burned it, and used it to boot my PC. It worked -- at least I think it did. Once again, I'm waiting for some gear to arrive to be able to complete the install and see how it works.